Matching drawings, music, and emotions is a fascinating experience, which helps to express yourself and your own feeling. Is not possible to fail or to make mistakes, and the experience has always a liberating effect. With Grade 8th students we experienced how the music can create emotions that we can turn out in drawings. We worked in groups of four on a large drawing sheet, sharing the same drawing. Here we are the steps we have followed:
- A draw was used to create five groups of four students. Each group could use colored pencils, felt tip pens or oil pastels.
- Every student was seated in front of a side of the drawing sheet. The first music started and every minute, the drawing sheet was turned clockwise. The students had to complete, carry on or change, the classmate’s previous drawing.
- When the music was finished the group took another drawing sheet and the next music started. The activity needs silence and quiet, in order to focus on the music and feelings.
- At the end of the activity, all the drawings were put on a big table (or on the floor) with a white paper beside every drawing. Each student commented the drawings with a single word.
- From the list of words we had written to comment each drawing, we created a suitable title for the work.
- Eventually, we talked together about our feelings, about difficulties or fun, about mutual influences on the drawing, and about what we liked or not.
Here below some drawings and the music we used. I downloaded for free all the music we used from the website Audio Library You Tube where you can find a lot of free tracks, already matched to different kind of moods.
Here below you can see the moment when each students commented the drawings with a single word, in order to write the feeling and find a title for each work.
3 thoughts on “Drawings, Music, Emotions: collaborative project”
It would be really helpful to know the titles and composers / performers of the selected music pieces.
These tracks are from Youtube free audio library, you can use them from my website freely.
I have this other post with 3 youtube links, you can use them, here you have any data you need https://arteascuola.com/2020/04/colors-music-and-emotions-on-line-activity/
provato negli ultimi giorni di scuola, è veramente una attività che li coinvolge e libera le loro emozioni, alla prima tavola sono tutti molto timidi e poco sciolti, quando c’è il pezzo rock tirano fuori tutta la loro rabbia!